Saturday, September 28, 2013

Grado, Aquileia and Palmanova

Today we took the high road to Grado. And a high road it was! It's the Via Di Friuli I think. It wound up and up into the Karst region and the views of Trieste and the bay are spectacular, even on an overcast day. Grado is a historic seaside resort with lots of Roman and medieval remains. It is located on a peninsula of the Adriatic Sea between Venice and Trieste. Again we had difficulty in parking and had to cross the bridge into Isola Della Schiusa but that wasn't really a problem.




We visited several more churches. Mass was on in the Basilica of Sant'Eufema so we did not want to intrude.

The Basilica of Sant'Eufemia


On the top of the bell tower there is a wind vane statue of the Anzolo San Michele (St Michael, the Archangel).






Beside the Basilica is the Baptistry. Along the paved path towards it there are 3 sarcophagi of the 2nd - 3rd century A.D. The Baptistry is very nice.

An interesting building in the square
Right next to Sant'Eufemia is the Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie, the oldest church in Grado.







As we were wandering about we could feel drops of rain and the sky was looking ominous. By chance we were near a restaurant whose terrace was well covered so we decided to stop there to eat. We had just ordered when there came a torrential downpour so loud we could not hear ourselves speak. In seconds the streets were cleared as people took shelter in nearby shops and restaurants. It took most of lunchtime for the rain to ease and drops were still falling as we made our way back to the car.

Now I need a rant! I know that I have no sense of direction, I admit it, I even join in on the laughter of others about it. Jim claims to have a great sense of direction and "follows his nose". Jim's nose is totally unreliable, believe me! I discovered that many many years ago when we visited Prague for a weekend and Jim dragged me for miles, miles away from the sights to be seen. In fact, I was a sight to be seen at the end when I finally convinced him that we were going in the wrong direction. I was a sight to be seen again today! Having left the restaurant, the rain was beginning again so we decided to get back to the car and take to the road again. Jim was following his nose as usual. I was trying to use some logic and in my head was shouting "That's the wrong way". However, I always bow to his superior knowledge of direction (why I don't know, as experience has taught me that we will get where we want to go but only by the most circuitous route possible!). Almost one hour later, soaked to the skin, hair frizzy and temper very very frayed, not to talk of my poor foot which complained painfully we reached the car. Picture (and not a very attractive one) and no sound for most of the rest of the journey. Safer you know!!

We had intended stopping at Aquileia but weather did not permit and we continued to Palmanova, a fortified town constructed in a star shape. Its main square, Piazza Grande, is hexagonal and huge. And what was there today? A horrendous cacophanous funfair which offended the eye and ear. We entered the town via one of the gates  (Porta Aquileia I think) - there are three.


The Piazza Grande




is overlooked by the town's most important monuments, above all the 17th century Cathedral. Its facade  has many niches in which there are statues.

























We also passed through Clauiano, said to be one of Italy's most beautiful towns, and Aiello del Friuli which has more than 60 sundials of different types. We saw a few but the photographer was driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment